Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Monday, February 6, 2012

Bargain Book Bonanza (31): Drew in Blue by J. M. Kelley

Welcome to Bargain Book Bonanza!

DeLynne is hosting this week!

Drew in Blue by J.M. Kelly was free when I 'bought' it on Kindle, but now I see it's $3.99 or free for Prime members. 

 
Even if you have to pay the full $3.99 I think you will consider it money well-spent.

This is a romance story, but it's also about raising babies and making art and becoming a parent.  Drew finds himself unexpectedly responsible for his baby Nick.  You can imagine the usual Three Men and a Baby gags about diapers and spit-up, and yes, they are here.

But this is also a well-written story that made me smile and even tear up.  Don't expect a sob story because it doesn't take much to make me moist-eyed, it's a genetic thing. 

I loved riding along with Drew as he grew up, forgave his mother for dying when he was young, earned a living, fell in love with his son, and found the woman of his dreams.

  


As an added bonus, Drew is an artist, and we get to see glimpses of an artist's life.  You know, painter's block, working at home, choosing a media, meeting buyers, hanging the canvases, etc.  Not knowing any full-time artists I am not sure about the accuracy of these details, but they were interesting and made me wish I could paint.

You should know that Drew in Blue gets a little, erm, blue at times.  So if you're a stickler for keeping your reading G rated you need to move along.  Nothing to see here.  It's certainly not erotica (which Lesa says has 'all the particulars') but there are some intimacies and a bit of swearing.

The plot is predictable.  I mean Blind Freddy can see where it's going.  But it was sweet and funny: certainly more than just a Harlequin, Mills and Boon-type story.

I think you will enjoy getting to know Drew.




Not THIS Drew in Blue.



THIS Drew in Blue.






Smiling Sally

And to see even more blues, please hop over to Blue Monday hosted by Smiling Sally.









****************************************

BBB is a book haul linky party for bargain loving bookworms!



Want to join the party? Just visit the Bargain Book Bonanza page for the particulars.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds good...and since I have had kids, it doesn't take much to get me teary-eyed either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my teenager look over at me and catch me crying and say, ' That's pathetic, mum.' and she's right. But I am helpless in the face of touching stories or fluffy animals or brave men or sick children or.....

      Delete
  2. Love your blues!

    Happy 1st Blue Monday, DeLynne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi DeLynne, it sounds like a sweet book. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

    Happy BBB!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, you are one of the busiest ladies in the blogosphere, I think. How do you find the time to read??

      Delete
  4. Love your blues. I think I will love that book. I'm currantly reading: SAFE HEAVEN, by Nicholas Sparks...a lovely and wonderful book. We exchange latest books too around here with my American friends, specially with my best friend Stephanie. Thank you for your lovely visit and kind comment. Happy week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazon does offer lots of kindle new release freebies but I have noticed that they have to be nabbed quick.

    Drew in Blue sounds good--- and a romance from a male point of view is nice for a change. funny that he is an artist and his name is Drew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do think you'll like Drew, ladies. He's a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to Blue Monday! I will have to check out that book giveaway! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like that beautiful blur gown and of course, the book sound interesting..

    Visiting for Blue Monday! Hope you can stop by:)

    http://www.mommys4seasonsjourney.com/2012/02/family-dinner-at-buffet-restaurant.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful book of blues :-) Visiting from Blue Monday, hope that you can return the visit too.

    http://www.adventurousjessy.com/2012/02/my-9th-birthday-celebration.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Delynne! I'm the author of Drew in Blue, and found this post doing my monthly make-sure-no-pirates-have-hijacked-my-book-booty Google search. Thanks so much for sharing my story with your followers and for your kind words! It gave me a much-needed smile for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. JM it is so nice to hear from you. Little ole me on Baja! I have such admiration for authors, with their talent and discipline. Well done and feel free to drop in any time and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, DeLynne. I'll definitely be stalking. Authors just starting out need bloggers like you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...