Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Little Boys Will Be Little Boys - Our Bedtime Stories

I was thinking about this today, about which story I will be reading to my little ones tonight.
My boys like non-fiction stories about dinosaurs, sharks, and other PREDATORS (duh-duh-DUH). I sigh and read them, with feeling (ok, Izzy?)




But sometimes, I get to read the stories that I prefer. They are compromises, still about dinosaurs and reptiles, but sweet stories. Fiction, of course!

One of my favorite series are the "How Do Dinosaurs..." by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague. These are sweet little rhymes written for children who pretend to be dinosaurs. The drawings make me smile, as I see my own little dinosaurs acting like those in the illustrations - in this case, before going to bed!



Another group of books that I enjoy reading to them are written by Ann Whitmore Paul. The books we particularly enjoy are the ones written in English, but with Spanish thrown in. Adorable retellings of fairy tales. For example, Tortuga in Trouble is a twist on Little Red Riding Hood.

These stories make a nice change for us, and since they are not too long, on nights when I don't have much time, I can get in a story that relaxes them and gets them to slip into to Slumberland.

4 comments:

  1. a preference for non-fiction might be cross "generationally" inherited..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a primary school teacher and 'How do Dinosaurs say Good Night?' is one of my favourite books to read to my class. It generally leads to lots of good discussion.

    I love your blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, I just joined up, but I will say thank you in behalf of the rest of the bookworms!
    That's one of my favorite parts of being a parent - all the fun books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw a copy of 'How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?' on display at the school library yesterday-- I read the whole thing! Fun illustrations-- bet my little boy would like this series too.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...