Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sugar Sugar by Carole Wilkinson


My English teacher absolutely insisted that we "relax" after exams last week by picking out a book from the wonderful selection at my school. Now normally, I am opposed to the idea of the school library due to the fact that the librarians are mean and they don't have a wide enough range of Lewis Carroll. This time though, a book on the latest fiction shelf caught my eye. So I sat down and read it until I was well into the book. And I turned out loving it.

Sugar Sugar is a fiction book set in the 70's about a young Australian girl, Jackie, living in London, who travels to Paris to fulfill her dream of becoming you guessed it, a fashion designer. Now, I know that sounds like the most predictable girly fiction book there is, but I am convinced it is much more than that.

Jackie loses her way, her dream, and her money but manages to get by in the most peculiar ways. From hitchhiking to sleeping in an Italian wheat field, this book shows traveling the other side of business class and Duty Free. And yes, there is a romance. With a mysterious boy Jackie met hitchhiking who left her politely on the side of the road. It is a very strange relationship.

I haven't finished the book yet, so unfortunately I can't ruin the ending for you, but I am dying to find out how she gets home and gets the boy.

That's about it. Read it, and live a little.

X.
For all those lovers of me out there, check out my blog.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't she the same author who wrote the Dragon Keeper books?

    Izzy, you do have a way with words..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Izzy: Love the cover of that book! Well, I would have guessed fashion model--- but designer is more credible, I suppose. It does sound like an intriguing story.

    DeLynne: Doesn't she, though-- I daresay it runs in the family. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought runway model! sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...