Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Breakfast at Tiffany's



NB In proof-reading this Top Ten Pick, I realize that it is just a thinly disguised musing of my own, so I completely understand if Jillian chooses to unlink it.

I've chosen for my Top One Pick (I am the opposite of Lesa when it comes to lists!) the book/movie
Breakfast at Tiffany's. Have you seen/read them both? If not, you really must.

They really shouldn't be listed as being the same story: they are quite different, set 20 years apart with opposing endings. It could be argued that the novel
Breakfast at Tiffiany's isn't very romantic, that the couple aren't really in love. That would be true, but the film was based on the novella, and no one can read the book without picturing the luminous Audrey Hepburn.

It is a beautiful, poignant book, and I think many women can see some of themselves (even only if thinking wishfully) in Holly Golightly. Holly's relationship with 'Fred' is so innocent and yet provocative. In the movie 'Fred' has a real name and a much more romantic relationship.

I suppose this convoluted justification is just an excuse to discuss the actress we spent a very pleasant afternoon watching. See, for Mothers' Day hubby gave his Mum a copy of
Roman Holiday. Princess Anne and Joe Bradley would be my number two pick, if I wanted to make a list longer than one. My girls kept exclaiming over her beauty (Audrey, not my MIL) and asking about her. The elder said watching Audrey makes her feel 'galumphing'. They were smitten!

So, back to the book at hand... If you haven't read
Breakfast at Tiffany's, do. Truman Capote was a genius, really a genius. The story will surprise you if you've seen the movie, and it will make you think regardless. It might also make you feel 'galumphing,' but that's your problem.

5 comments:

  1. I have mentioned in a previous top10picks topic that Holly Golightly is one of my all time favorite fictional characters. To put it plainly, she is so awesome! Haha. So I can completely understand why you picked this one.

    I have read the book and seen the film, and have to admit I prefer the latter. Interesting little fact about the film that you might already know ;) Capote strongly disliked the idea of having Audrey Hepburn play the character of Holly Golightly, because he preferred Marilyn Monroe to do it.
    Now don't get me wrong, I love Marilyn Monroe as well.. but Audrey Hepburn was JUST pure perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, Jillian, I hadn't known that fact, but I had read that there was a big scandal when Hepburn was chosen for My Fair Lady instead of Julie Andrews. She was also chosen above Elizabeth Taylor for roles.

    A very graceful, gracious woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm embarrassed to say I've never watched Breakfast at Tiffany's or read the book-- I love classic movies and Audrey Hepburn so I don't understand how I missed it. My theory is that I've seen so many clips of classics that I sometimes forget I haven't watched the whole film. Sounds like this one is a gem-- can't wait to watch it-- and the book is teetering you know where!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And don't forget the movie Roman Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anybody read the other major Capote book/film In Cold Blood (1967)?

    I always liked Hepburn in Wait Until Dark (1967).

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...