Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Monday, December 6, 2010

Check

Good book? Check. 


Weekend in the country? Check, check.


Kiddos ocupados?



Check check check!




Ahhhh. Think I am ready to read.





When I go to North East Texas, I usually end up staying in the "cabin". It's a mobile home. But I have decided it shall henceforth be named, "THE CABIN".







And since I do not leave said cabin very often (snakes), I stock up on books to read from the library. 

I stay up late, read while babies are napping, and occasionally, when the weather is cool enough to keep the pythons and cobras away, but warm enough for me to soak in the sun...





...I take my books outside and lay down on a blanket near the pine trees.










I look forward to this weekend, because I don't have to do anything. No one calls or emails me (although they could) because they know I'm in "vacation mode". Therefore I am of no benefit to them!

Sometimes it is nice to be useless!

While I was there, I read two fun mysteries (I love light mysteries here...it's daaaarrrrk and spooooky).

Mini-reviews:
Murder with Peacocks (Meg Langslow Mysteries)

The first was the latest in a series by Donna Andrews.
 
Very funny. My favorite was the very first in the series (pictured), just because every character is so surprising. By the time you've read a few they are expected, although no less entertaining.

The amateur sleuth is an artist/blacksmith. She has a very large and involved family that keeps stumbling over bodies, and frustrates the local police.


Antiques Roadkill: A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery

The second book I read is also part of a series, by Barbara Allen.
In this series, the heroine is a recent divorcee.
She and her diabetic shih tzu move back in with her mother, 
and end up begrudgingly solving murders.





If you are looking for something light or humorous, give these a try!
You might just enjoy them!



11 comments:

  1. Say 'howdy' to the farm for me. Wish I could drop in for the weekend. Your babies are gorgeous.

    Those look like just the perfect mysteries for my week away at the end of the month. Have any of you read Kerry Greenwood's character Phryne Fisher? I'd like to try her next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would like to read the second book for the totally irrational reason that I have a szhitzu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @DeLynne, Sure, Sug', I'll say "howdy" for yall!
    That accent is hard to shake!
    I have not read that series, but I will check it out!

    @Mystica - Sushi (the shih tzu) actually has quite a personality in the book.
    I've read books just because I like the character's name! Doesn't always work out for me though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing these are in the cozy category. I've not read one yet but they sure are popular-- at the library, I see ones that involve cooking or gardening or other of my interests-- there must be a cozy for everybody.

    Isn't it wonderful to have time to just read-- we went on a roadtrip to Branson last wkend and I read on my 900 page tome the whole way there and back-- except for T getting sick in the car, it was great!

    A cabin is better than a hovel-- that what we always called our student apt at university-- our 'summer hovel'-- lots of fun memories from those summers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a perfect way to spend the weekend. Sometimes I curl up all day on Sunday, but sadly I'm still at home where people know how to bother me/reach me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lesa, MOST of that trip sounds fun!:p
    Sam, maybe you should slip them some cough medicine, get 'em to sleep! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the getaway. At first I thought you were having a Christmas sleepover like I have with my grandkids--under the tree.

    I will give the Peacock Murder a try. Have you read any of MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin mysteries -- my new cozy favorite sleuth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, I bet your house is a riot with all your grandkids! They are gonna have some great memories.
    I have not read those yet, but I will check it out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you day dream about moving there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I am there I do. My family would be ecstatic and I'd have my own stuff going on...kwim?
    I could be happy. Manuel hates Houston and it can even get stressful for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. That looks magical. And I love that you call it the cabin. It's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...