Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Monday, May 23, 2011

Bargain Book Bonanza (12): Surprise at the Mall Edition


 Welcome to Bargain Book Bonanza!

A book haul linky party for bargain loving bookworms!



BBB is the place to showcase all the great books (new, used, vintage, electronic, audio) that you have scored on sale.


Each Monday through Thursday, all book lovers are invited to carouse, make merry and revel with bargain book abandon!


Want to join the party? Just visit the Bargain Book Bonanza page for the particulars.

Lesa is hosting this week!


Last summer, I was saddened to see gaping holes where the Waldenbooks used to be in all the malls around here.


  And last October, the costume store set up shop in the empty space at one mall. Too sad seeing the bookstore signs still up on the wall but no books...  

Malls aren't really my thing anymore but yesterday I just happened to be strolling through the Arrowhead Mall in Muskogee seeking in vain for a particular pair of sandals (and missing the bookstore) when I spotted a most wondrous sight!!! 
Thousands of books! And all thoughts of footwear fled my mind...


Could the mall be getting a new bookstore? A Half-Price Books perhaps?  Aw, no such luck but something just as good albeit of short duration. Can you guess?
A library book sale!! In the mall! Isn't that funny-- and so wonderfully serendipitous. Thanks, Serendipity Fairy!

The prices:
Hardbacks $1
Paperbacks .25

And another Bargain Book Bonanza was born...


Here is what I scored:


From the children's section:

Katie John by Mary Calhoun

Hound-Dog Man by Fred Gipson (author of Old Yeller and I sure hope no hounds bite the dust!)

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

Yes, another Caddie but this one is a hardback and it has illustrations! And owning multiple copies of the same book is perfectly okay, isn't it Jillian. ;o)


From the adult section:

Kingsblood Royal by Sinclair Lewis (there is a reason I want to read Sinclair and I hope to post about that sometime)

Showboat by Edna Ferber (Yep, the novel the musical was adapted from. Love the dustjacket cover and the price tag reads: $2.95. Don't you wish new hardbacks still sold at such low prices? The back cover promotes a completely different  author... funny.)


The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter

Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories by John Updike

Never read works by either of these authors but I do like to dabble...

Have you read any by these two?



Oooo, sci-fi!

Gibbon's Decline and Fall by Sheri S. Tepper
Shadow's End by Sheri S. Tepper
 I've been wanting to read more of Sheri S. Tepper's clever and thought provoking books.

Starfarers by Poul Anderson

Metamorphosis by David Saperstein (a sequel to Cocoon!)

And the grand finale....



One of the best science thrillers of all time!! Jillian's recent enthusiastic Jurassic Park post made me all nostalgic so of course I nabbed this paperback.

Twelve books for-- $11.25? Nope, halfway through my perusing a librarian announced all books were half off!  Yippee! My haul ended up only costing $5 since the librarian rounded down in my favor.

Love those librarians and love library book sales!

 If you have a bargain book, please share. We love to brag on bargains!








  






Please click to vote for Mrs. BG at the free-ranked blog directory Picket Fence Blogs!


13 comments:

  1. How wonderful! It looks like you snagged up some great reads! Its so cheap aswell! Great job
    www.avenuemaria.blogspot.com co

    ReplyDelete
  2. $5 for all that?! I would've bought more! Haha.
    Those are lovely, Lesa. Gorgeous covers! And definitely nothing wrong with owning more than 1 copies ;)

    By the way, if you ever decide to review those sci-fi novels (or perhaps do a list of sci-fi recommendations) I would love to check those out! I've just discovered a new interest on the genre. I do prefer other sci-fi that aren't related to space or aliens though to be honest.

    And I'm glad the review reminded you of your love for Jurassic Park. I can't wait to read The Lost World.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT??? COME ON! How is this fair??? AND she rounded DOWN??? Really?

    Ok, I begrudgingly say good haul. And now I am sticking my tongue out at you.


    Ok, Miss Lesa, I am challenging myself to find a Book Bargain this week. I've been busy lately, but IT. IS. ON.


    :) Fantastic bo-nanza, muh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria: Thanks! And I'll be emailing you soon-- A guest op-shop BBB post would be so cool!

    Jillian: Oh, I would've bought more too but my family was about to pass out!! My hub said I was perusing for an hour but surely that was an exaggeration!! hahah

    I do still plan to post on my fave sci-fi-- I've always read more of the space ones but there are some nonspacey ones that I like too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie: All's fair in love and war and bargain book buying!! hahahahah

    So you've thrown down the BBB gauntlet, eh! Well, Bring. It. On.

    Btw, 'He' rounded down-- and there was no flirting involved. Haha Well, I did brag on the book sale and ask very interested questions but that was all, really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure there was hair flippage involved! Uh-huh!

    And I think the only way I could beat you is to get someone to pay me to take the books!

    I'm up for it! hee hee hee ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading through some of the other blogs I follow, I wanted to bring an amazing book haul to your attention. Over at Dreaming About Other Worlds the lucky blogger bought almost 1300 books from a library sale for $34! Can you imagine?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah: Thanks so much for the link! Wow, that is one out of this world haul-- and all sci/fi fantasy-- Oh, I'd love that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone: We have a first timer linking up! Go check out his bargain haul-- you will not believe it!! And Leslie, I have definitely been out-bargained!! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. +JMJ+

    That's definitely the kind of book sale you don't expect to find in a mall!

    Show Boat is one that I'd like to read someday, when I feel an American History kick coming on. (If you check out my BBB this week, you might say that an American History kick has already come on. LOL!)

    Jurassic Park is another that's on my list of Novels to Read before I Die.

    By the way, I just checked out Aaron's first BBB post. You have so been out-bargained!!! I never thought I'd see the day . . . I hope BBB doesn't become one big competition from this point on because I might end up doing something crazy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! There is NO way I could compete with that! I could barely compete with you...so I won't! It's more fun that way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow! Those are awesome scores, and you can't beat those prices! Sorry I didn't join in this week; got all caught up on the tornado stuff.

    Hugs,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember reading the Katie John books (I think there were three) and Caddie Woodlawn as a child! I loved them!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...