Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Oh Dear! The Accidental Florist by Jill Churchill

Well, after staying up way too late way too often, I was looking forward to crawling into bed early with a cozy, one of my favourite genres. From our library I had taken a punt on the new-to-me Jill Churchill's The Accidental Florist.


I was so disappointed. The details I thought would be significant, for example, the process of buying flowers in a shop across from the murder scene, never came to anything. You might think the cat on the cover had something to do with the resolution, like Lilian Jackson Braun's clever cat characters,
but no.

I kept imagining the ways things might tie together, but in the end the murder was solved 'off camera' by someone else using only a suggestion by the protagonist.

All the events and details were just... details. The book really wasn't about the murder, rather it was about the protagonist adding on to her house and planning a wedding. It was cozy to the point of being claustrophobic.

Churchill has written at least 16 books in this series, so someone must like them. I suppose if you are a fan, each book is like an installment in a soap opera. Like catching up with old friends. But I am not a fan, so I was bored. I hate to be critical, but there you have it.

4 comments:

  1. I love the Jane Jeffry series, but they were one of the first cozy mysteries I read. They aren't the most mysterious or thrilling books, but they introduced me to the genre and I get a warm, fuzzy nostalgia feeling when I read them. So yeah, I'm a fan, but you are right, it's like catching up with old friends more than the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer, for the endorsement and not taking offense at my negative review. It's the first I've written, so I was worried!

    We've all got our own taste and favourite characters, and shouldn't be insulting or insulted with opinions.

    In fairness to the book, I did finish it and the process was pleasant, snuggled into bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the fall I particularly enjoy mysteries. Last year I discovered Agatha Raisin (by M.C. Beaton) and intend on visiting her again next month. I also will be reading more of the Victorian sleuth Charles Lenox (by Charles Finch. Is "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley a cozy?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...