Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Sunday, August 22, 2010

In My Mailbox... Literally

In my mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.

Since kicking my ebay addiction for the third and hopefully last time a year ago, I rarely make the hike down to the mailbox. But last Saturday, I made an exception. After a miserable week of 105 degree temps, mother nature blessed us with an afternoon of desperately needed rain. Thinking to enjoy a cool respite and try out my latest rainboots (another addiction), out I went.... into a freaking sauna!!

Too sultry for my taste but as Nancy says...

these boots are made for walking so I persevered.

Was the bounty worth braving the humidity?
Most definitely!
(by the way, this photo isn't a plea for donations for a new mailbox-- this poor pitiful has survived several assaults and attracts less hooligans than a shiny new mailbox so it is a keeper)

So exciting...

but the huge gaping hole is a bit of a concern, wouldn't you say.

A peek revealed a bunged up spine. The possible condition of the books worried me but they all turned out to be tip-top.

So are you sitting on the edge of your seats, waiting to gasp in delight over the bookaliciousness? Oh, you want to know why a self-purported library girl is receiving books from B&N-- Well, it is my hubby's fault. (isn't it always)

He stumbled across the Barnes and Noble Online Summer Clearance and couldn't resist a boxed set of a Mad's Greatest Artists: The Completely Mad Don Martin. Regularly $150 on sale for $20 but he needed to order $25 worth to get free shipping which is where I come in.

I settled on these little jewels...

Aren't the covers pretty? For ages, I've longed for a hardcover collection of Jane Austen's works. The B&N classic hardcovers were $4.95 each and I was so tempted to order the entire set BUT the regular price is only $7.95. Thinking it might be to good to be true, I settled on one to see how the binding holds up. I'll keep you posted...

The other two paperbacks were $1.99 each. What a deal!

Actually, I almost didn't add the Religion Timeline since the other two met the $25 free shipping requirement. Didn't want to be piggy and really really haven't a 'square to spare' for more books but hubby said: Get it! He never limits his book buying and doesn't seem to mind book clutter so I thought: Why not? One teeny little book won't cause the house to burst at the seams... will it?

Ha, but three more might! No wonder hubby said 'get it'; he was sneaking in a few extras of his own. My books weren't needed for shipping after all but I'm not complaining... I love bookish lagniappes.

The Mad Magazine boxed set didn't arrive until a few days later. The books are gorgeous and hubby is enraptured. They will feature in a future post. In fact, hubby might even gush about them himself as a guest blogger but don't hold your breath... he suffers from a serious affliction... bone idleness. ;o)

By the way, the summer clearance is over at Barnes and Noble. There are still bargain books but not a $1.99 or $2.99 section. I don't know if each season has a big blowout sale but my eyes are peeled.

9 comments:

  1. You've got some lovely books there. 'The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen' looks interesting as I'm a big fan. I'll look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice books! And boots, haha. :) I would also love to own Austen's books. Something I should think about buying sometime, especially since it's cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAhh I got all excited when I saw the picture of your mailbox with the huge box! I always get so excited when I see a package in front of me on my doorstep or in my mailbox or something.. so I definitely know the feeling!

    Those editions are beautiful as well. I have really old copies of Jane Austen's books, that came from my mom when she first read them when she was a teenager. There's just something about a pretty, classic looking book cover though, so I love yours! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great mailbox! My IMM Birthday Edition is here.

    xx,
    E.J
    From the Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    Now that is a mailbox post! ;-)

    And you and your husband sound lucky to have each other. =)

    PS--I love the boots. =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and next time I get packages in my mailbox, I'll make sure to take photos of them from there and post that too, all because of you, :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like you got some awesome deals. Almost didn't fit in the mailbox. :) Thanks for visiting me today too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a great reason to trek out to the mailbox. Love the boots by the way. The timeline of religion looks good. Was that a good deal too?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all for the boot/book bragging!

    Jillian: How precious to have your mom's old Austen's! This hardcover is plain under the dustjacket but has gold lettering on the spine and a herald like design pressed into the cover-- rather elegant.

    Glad to be inspiration--I keep a camera in my purse or pocket at all times and take pics of anything that catches my eye! Even people at Walmart! ;o) Most go on my other blog Dusty Us.

    E: Thanks-- we have fun for the most part even if marriage is maddening at times-- even after 25 yrs-- you'd think it would get easier!

    Sari: Yes, it was only $1.99-- that is the only section I shopped in except for classic for P&P. It really is a timeline-- only 120 pages but I thought it might lead me to pivotal points in history that deserve further exploration.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...