Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bargain Book Bonanza (2)

Welcome to the second edition of Bargain Book Bonanza! 

Many thanks to last week's BBB participants.



 BBB is a linky party to showcase all the great books that we book lovers score on sale. 

Each Monday, all book lovers are invited to carouse, make merry and revel with bargain book abandon!

New and used books welcome!

BBB book(s) do not have to be current purchases. If a past book bargain did not get the bravo it deserved from your real life friends/family, claim your bragging rights now!  

 To join the party:
  
1. Grab the BBB button
2. Post your own BBB post
 3. Come back and link your BBB post to Mr. Linky (open Sunday-Thursday) 
4. Say Howdy! We will howdy back!
5. Mingle with other BBB guests! Make some new friends!
  
Easy as buying a bargain book!!



Lesa's Bargain Book Bonanza

Do you recognise this display?

It is at Big Lots!  Do any of you shop at Big Lots?  It is a closeout retail chain which basically means it is  just a high falutin' pallet store or bent can store. 

Big Lots sells a little bit of everything even furniture but the only items I usually purchase are toys, garden items, imported foods and... BOOKS!

New books for three dollars! Now that is a bargain book bonanza!!

The book bin varies from visit to visit. Sometimes it contains more fiction; other times more nonfiction. Sometimes I don't find any books appealing enough to buy even for three dollars but it is always fun rummaging through the bin.   


Here is one of my BBB finds from Big Lots...

Isn't it lovely?  My Guardian Angel may actually be one of the prettiest book  I own. And don't worry the price tag peels off with no sticking.

 I don't buy a book just for the cover though. The synopsis has to capture my imagination as well. 

 Crusaders are burning Jewish homes in 1096 Troyes, France.  Elvina, the feisty twelve year old granddaughter of the great Rabbi Rashi, can read and write and speaks with her Guardian Angel constantly.  On a day when she is alone three soldiers pound at the door. One is wounded. Elvina has only a moment to make a difficult decision that could put the entire community at risk.

Ooo, sounds like a good story to me. Have any of you read it?  I'd never heard of it but the inside cover says it won the Prix Sorcieres, France's most prestigious award for children's literature.

The beautiful cover and synopsis sold me completely but when I peeked under the dust jacket...


I was doubly and triply sold! Sold to the nth degree! 
Is that not the coolest cover ever for a story set in the 11th century?! 

Love both covers and I'm so excited to read Elvina's story.

Be sure to scope out Big Lots for a book bargain!

Can't wait to see everyone else's BBB!










6 comments:

  1. Love me some Big Lots! We don't get books like that though :(
    Very cool covers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    I'd totally dive into that bin!

    Come to think of it, I've seen hardbound copies of My Guardian Angel around. Perhaps I should look under the dust jackets to see if they're all like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely story. Look forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    I'm here to say I fixed my embedded video. You can all watch it now.

    *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie: Just keep digging... just keep digging. The bin at BL last night looked bleak but I dug and dug till I was about standing on my head and found another treasure! I'll post it for BBB sometime.

    E: Yes, peek and see!

    Georgia: I'm not too reviewish but I'll do my best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, that antiqued cover would totally have sold me on this one! I'm going to have to pay a visit to my local Big Lots!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...