Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What to read when you are sick...



I have a cold. It's not a flu, as Aussies are apt to label anything that involves sniffing or sneezing. But I am resting in bed with a calendar mostly cleared for the next two days. And what does a book worm do when she has a cold? She puts chicken soup in the crock pot (check) and she reads and she blogs about books.



What do you read when you are sick? When I am sick I want to read easy, short-story type texts. Nothing too challenging or taxing. I found a wonderful book that's just right for girly reading whether you are sick or well.

I've just finished
Dreaming of Dior by Charlotte Smith. She is a shameless name dropper who lunches with princes and sultans, a clothes horse who 'would rather dazzle than underwhelm'. Despite the vast chasm that separates our lives (what with me currently in bed wearing a daggy t-shirt and clutching tissues) I did warm to her.



Charlotte Smith currently lives in Sydney, so we can call her an Australian author, but she was born in Hong Kong, raised in the US and lived in Europe. This is a globe-trotting author and a globe-trotting, time traveling book.


Smith inherits from her godmother a priceless collection of vintage clothing from many different eras. And she decided to turn her gift into a book. Each outfit gets two pages, one for a fabulous illustration by Grant Cowan, and one for its story. Through the garments, the reader gets glimpses into the lives of women. We meet not just Charlotte, her godmother and family, but also American pioneer women, flappers, Edwardian adventuresses, brides and socialites.



This book would make a great gift for a clothes horse friend. You really can't go wrong here.



I loved the stories and vibrant images, and the book made me want to dress better. Right after I get over this cold...

6 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect for sick day reading. It reminds me too of my grandmother. She was a dress designer and would have loved this.

    Feel better soon!

    -----------------------------------
    My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful book! I could see it transporting me to another time!
    I will have to check this one out as well - I have your Phyrne Fisher books on hold at the library...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great statement on the cover: Every dress tells a story.

    That is so true-- just like a song can trigger memories, outfits can too.

    Beautiful!

    Feel better soon-- and you always dress with a great sense of personal style and flair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the well wishes and compliments, ladies. I'm glad you're checking out Phryne, Leslie, and I hope you like her as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to get my hands on a copy of this book. The illustrations are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! I love vintage clothes! This book looks right up my alley! Thanks for the suggestion!

    KW
    http://www.ekfamilybooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...