Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Friday, March 4, 2011

Dinner Dictionary on ice

We will talk about anything at our table. Tonight, with the thirteen year old and the nine year old we discussed the difference between smack, crack, and ice.

We arrived at this subject through the Rastafarian religion discussion we were having. I used Wikipedia to look up Rastafarian, and we discovered that it 'is not a highly organized
religion; it is a movement'. Hubby snorted at that, saying that pot smokers weren't good at organizing themselves.


I was shocked to learn that Bob Marley was only 36 when he died, and that about 5% of Jamaicans identify themselves as Rastas. I thought it comprised a much larger portion of the population.


Editor's Note: This is Lesa. I was adding a photo to DeLynne's post and somehow lost the last paragraph. So Sorry! I've never lost anyone's work before and my only excuse is that allergies are making me crazy and my vision is blurred! When DeLynne wakes up in Oz, hopefully she will retype what was lost.

Until she wakes up, a synopsis is that the drug info came from a big workshop she attended through her volunteer work at a women's shelter for domestic violence.

DeLynne asked: Do you talk openly with your children about drugs?

Ok, I am awake and had no cold medicine and my cup of Lady Grey is steaming comfortingly at my elbow. I accept full responsibility for this. I know Lesa just cannot stand a post without a photo. I should have put up one myself!

I went on to say that to answer the ice/smack/crack question I referred to a handbook given to me at a workshop by QuHIN for local volunteers. I am so blessed to be able to spend time each week at Sonshine Sanctuary (crisis accommodation for victims of domestic violence) with wonderful people. At Tuesday's information session one woman said she dreamed of opening a home for teen mothers, and ten years later we were sitting in Lily House. Women are just amazing, aren't they?

What are volunteers doing in your area?

Do you speak openly with your children about drugs?

5 comments:

  1. Well, at least you are eating together! That's rare these days. We try to eat together, at least sit for a few minutes every day, maybe just for ice cream or coffee and choc milk.

    And it's great that you are already talking to them about it...kids are getting involved in stuff younger and younger these days. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea Bob Marley was that young when he died, yikes!

    Thanks so much for joining us for Friendly Friday, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahaha! Oh, ok! I thought it was a little abrupt!

    Yes, women are AMAZING! You are AMAZING!

    And we talk about smoking, racism, violence, and peer pressure, and we have age appropriate discussions about s-e-x. We haven't quite reached illicit drugs yet.

    But any topic is allowed anytime, and we don't tell them "we'll talk about it when you are older" or something like that. That just gives them reason to hear what their friends at school have to say or get taken advantage of by an adult...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, DeLynne. So glad you weren't aggravated. And your new paragraph is even better than the one I lost!

    You are very generous but really you don't have to take responbility for my photo OCD. It is a nice photo though, isn't it-- coordinates so nicely with Mrs. Bg's color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe in being honest with kids so nothing is off limits.

    School has 'Say No to Drugs' week every year so we've talked about drugs since Talon was three.

    There is a bad meth prob in rural ok-- hypos have even been found on the playground-- rare but it has happened.

    It is always a little sad when kids learn about the bad things--- but they have to know for safety.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...