Inspiration From The Distant Past

Inspiration From The Distant Past
Found note in an old book... warms the cockles of my bookish heart...

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bargain Book Bonanza (1)

Welcome to the first edition of Bargain Book Bonanza! 



 BBB is a linky party to showcase all the great books that we book lovers score on sale. 

Each Monday, all book lovers are invited to carouse, make merry and revel with bargain book abandon!

New and used books welcome!

BBB book(s) do not have to be current purchases. If a past book bargain did not get the bravo it deserved from your real life friends/family, claim your bragging rights now!  

 To join the party:
  
1. Grab the BBB button
2. Post your own BBB post on Monday
 3. Come back and link your BBB post to Mr. Linky 
4. Say Howdy! We will howdy back!
5. Mingle with other BBB guests! Make some new friends!
  
Easy as buying a bargain book!!



Lesa's BBB haul

Folks, I'm about to reveal my deep dark shameful secret: I'm a two-timer!  A library two-timer, that is! 

 In January, I posted about getting a library card from the library in the next county.  I still love my home county library but the new library's little bookstore keeps tempting me to stray over the county line.

Look what I found on the hardback/trade paperback table:
This haul of four hardbacks and two trade paperbacks in like new condition cost $5.  What a BBB!!

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding: I like the movie and can't wait to read this!

A Room with a View by E. M. Forster: I read Forster's book Where Angels Fear To Tread in 2009 and quite liked it. I've been meaning to read more of his works.

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier: Du Maurier popped up on several blogs last year making me want to dabble.

Washington Square by Henry James: I've been wanting to read this since seeing the 1949 film adaptation The Heiress starring Olivia de Havilland last year. Also, my friend,  Kathy The Literary Amnesiac recommends Henry James' novels and I trust her judgement.

 The Wind Singer and Slaves of the Mastery by William Nicholson:  These are the first two books in the Wind on Fire fantasy trilogy.  The synopsis and first few pages sounded a bit dystopian so I bought both on spec. Plus, the author is from the UK and I like authors from the UK.

   I have a good feeling about these books.

Have you read any of these? 

Can't wait to see everyone else's BBB!


SJ at Homemaker on a Dime featured Mrs. BG and Bargain Book Bonanza in her current Swap Followings linky party post!  Thank you, SJ, for the shout out and kind words! 


SJ is hosting her monthly Swap Follow Party today! She is a lovely lady with a fun diy decor blog. Plus, her blog tutorials are very informative. SJ is also a bookworm so go say hello and link up to Swap Follow.






21 comments:

  1. Good haul! I'll have to get crackin'!

    I like A Room With a View and enjoyed the movie with that actress that dresses crazy...can't remember her name.

    The others sound good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I'm waiting to see if the linky works, I'll just say that I have posted about this on my blog!

    By the way, I believe the "actress that dresses crazy" in A Room With A View might be Helena Bonham Carter.

    I just love bargain books! I found out about this party on Book Blogs.

    http://theliterarylioness.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Now it is a party! Thank you for linking up, Literary Lioness!

    Leslie: Now that you mention it, I'm almost sure I saw the movie years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    What a great bargain! =D I also love what an eclectic pile you have.

    As you can see, I've linked up my own post about bargain books. I didn't include the prices, though, since I make my purchases in a completely different currency. Should I go back and edit the post?

    ReplyDelete
  5. E: Oh, I'm all about eclectic!!

    Thanks for linking up!! No don't worry about prices! Off to check out your BBB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Library Lioness - LOL! Yes, that is it. I remembered her name just before I drifted off to sleep. And I meant she dresses crazy at any awards show.
    Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting Lesa! I read My Cousin Rachel last year and it was pretty good. I didn't love it as much as Rebecca, but it was still pretty good. It has one of those ambiguous endings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture you have in your header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogger Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

    Oops, I put this on the wrong post the first time.

    Hi Lesa, just checking back in ... wow, what a wonderful turnout on your very first day. You have an eye for Rednesday, that is for sure (that is where I made that post for originally, btw). I have a plan for next week's BBB, but time got away from me today.

    Thank you for stopping by today. I am happy for you, and hope that you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristi: Thanks for linking up! I loved reading about the Scottish thrift store. Hmm.. ambiguous ending. I like closure but ambiguous is ok once in awhile.

    Amber: thanks for stopping by!

    Kathy: I loved seeing your vintage dictionaries. No worries about using an past post-- I'm just so thrilled that you were able to join in this week. I really appreciate it. Can't wait to more of your book bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! (even tho I'm not a bargain hunter--don't hate me. Books are one of my Splurges in life.)

    I hope you enjoy Rachel as much as I did! Relaxing, yet a page turner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. +JMJ+

    I was so fixated on the nice juxtaposition between A Room with a View and Bridget Jones's Diary that I didn't notice the books at the bottom of your stack, Lesa.

    Would you believe that I bought The Wind Singer at a bargain, too? I had been wanting to start the series for a while, but the new books were just too expensive for an author who was still new to me. (Admittedly, the price was reasonable: I wouldn't have minded paying that much for a Brian Jacques or Diana Wynne-Jones novel--but then again, they're "tried and tested" authors, aren't they?)

    So when I found a copy of The Wind Singer at a used bookstore in almost new condition, I snapped it up immediately! (Funny: the description on the back cover and the first few pages gave me High Fantasy, pseudo-medieval vibes rather than Dystopian vibes--and I'm supposed to be Miss Dystopia!) I haven't started it yet, so if you want to do a readalong, I'm game. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Promise, I'll join your party next week. Thanks for understanding my predicament. It's just that it takes so much time for me during the week of linky party to invite people to join in.

    Btw, thank you for joining in the Swap Followings Linky Party and making the blog party a success :) Hope you'll link in again next month.

    ReplyDelete
  14. woahh..such amazing finds! i really want to read bridget jone's diary..loved the film as well!
    ps found you off goodreads & following now =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How funny! What are the odds?! I know what you mean about not paying full price for an untried author.

    Even funnier that we picked up different vibes. I didn't read the back but the inside synopsis mentioned a caste system and special teaching-- and on the first pages a baby was off to be 'rated'-- just made me think dystopian. Maybe it will be a combo of some kind!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SJ: Join anytime-- hopefully BBB will last a long time!

    Swap Follow was fun! Thanks again for featuring Mrs. BG!

    ReplyDelete
  17. niree: Welcome! Glad you found your way here-- otherwise, I wouldn't have found your blog! It is very funny!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great idea. I'll try to participate next week. I think A Room With a View is a great find. I've been looking for Forster books, but I haven't had any luck in that department. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi i am following you via homemaker on a dime and i am following you , maybe you will do the same x
    tfs
    http://emilysnan.blogspot.com/
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darlyn: join in anytime! Good luck with the Forster hunt!

    Craftynan: Welcome! Are you a bookworm as well as being a crafter? If so, what genres do you like to read?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the yakkity yak box, Book Lovers! Your comments are greatly appreciated so please feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.

Comments/questions will receive a response here and visits will be returned as time allows. We are a chatty bunch but also busy with work/school/family so apologies in advance for any delays.

:o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...